Today, 4th of December, 2009, ZOIPER, a leading softphone provider, announces the introduction of wideband codecs to the complete Zoiper product line - now Zoiper features Skype's SILK, Polycom's SIREN and the Broadvoice codecs.
Recently several highly reputed VoIP companies have released their proprietary codecs under more open licensing terms, a move which deserves a loud applause from the global VoIP community.
The use of wideband codecs allows the telephone calls to use a greater frequency range (32kHz) than the standard telephone network does (8khz), this is close to the range of an audio CD (44kHz) while compressing the data to a fraction (2,5% of the original size). The small bandwidth needed allows high quality over relatively slow internet connections.
Zoiper.com is the first 3rd party softphone to almost immediately release a BETA of the Zoiper softphone with support for all these codecs. Polycom's siren series, Skype's SILK codecs and the broadvoice codecs are now among the supported wideband codecs within Zoiper, others are g722 and speex.
The Zoiper team hopes that many other voip manufacturers will follow to ensure that wideband can become the new standard in telephony.
Zoiper.com invites everybody willing to experience the quality of broadband to apply for Zoiper beta by simply filling the contact form on http://www.zoiper.com/
On top of the already supported codecs Zoiper is being stacked with 8 wideband codecs:
- Speex Wideband (sampled at 16kHz, codec output is 28kbps)
- Speex Ultrawideband (sampled at 32kHz, codec output is 30kbps)
- G.722 (sampled at 16kHz, codec output is 64kbps)
- SILK Wideband (sampled at 16kHz, codec output is variable, up to 40kbps)
- licensed from SKYPE (R)
- SILK Superwideband (sampled at 24kHz, codec output is variable, up to 40kbps) - licensed from SKYPE (R)
- BroadVoice32 (sampled at 16kHz, codec output 32kbps) - licensed from Broadvoice (R)
- SIREN7 - g722.1 (sampled at 16kHz, configurable bit rates at 24kbps and 32kbps) - licensed from Polycom (R)
- SIREN14 - g722.1c (sampled at 32kHz, configurable bit rates at 24, 32 and 48 kbps) - licensed from Polycom (R)
Now, Zoiper also supports 3 additional narrowband codecs:
- SILK Narrowband (sampled at 8kHz, codec output is variable, up to 40kbps) - licensed from SKYPE (R)
- SILK Mediumband (sampled at 12kHz, codec output is variable, up to 40kbps) - licensed from SKYPE (R)
- BroadVoice16 (sampled at 8kHz, codec output is 16kbps) - licensed from Broadvoice (R)
SILK is a registered trademark by Skype Inc.
Broadvoice is a registered trademark by Broadvoice
SIREN is a registered trademark by Polycom
For more information and competitive OEM offers, please contact us at sales(at)zoiper(dot)com and +352 20333140